Saturday, May 21, 2011

Affect vs. Effect - A Trick to Remember







Keep your book safe from Homophone Hijinks!






There are a few words that give me fits. I thought you might have similar problems. How does the misuse of effect affect your writing?

Affect vs. Effect
Affect is usually a verb.
Effect is usually a noun.
I was trying to think up a way to remember which is which. I thought up a trick to remember. When I need to choose affect or effect, I just need to determine if it is a noun or verb. If it's a noun I know it's effect if it's a noun, because noun starts with the sound EN.
It would be great if I could remember which is which, but if that hasn't happened yet (I'm 40), I don't think it will.

4 comments:

Eat, Fart and Bark said...

A-affect A-Acts upon something. I like your "en" for Effect noun.

BarbaraB said...

It's always great when you can think up your own way of remembering something.

J. Aday Kennedy's Brain Fart Explosion said...

That's what I've got to do to remember things.
Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker
Children's Author of Stella the Fire Farting Dragon (April 2010)
http://brainfartexplosion.blogspot.com

ARAMIKVIDEO said...

I'm glad there are others that have enough courage and honesty to admit that certain grammar issues can give even the best of us fits.